Wednesday 26 November 2014

silence, noise and the physical effects of sound

For our next unit, 2nd project I have decided to put away things for this one and focus on being, on creating your own world within the world we already inhabit and especially in the cities we find ourselves, well  at least I find myself in. I want to map a quiet city, find and create peaceful places and quiet  spaces in the city and beyond. I have no idea how it will turn out, even if it will work but it will be an interesting experiment.

The world has become a noisy place, a cacophony of  sounds clashing and competing for your attention, I want to find ways to shut that out, to avoid or ignore it if even for a few moments at a time or, indeed longer.

The first thing I came across while looking into this was someone in my home city of Adelaide Australia had done a very similar thing. He created an app that showed people where to go for quiet place, I find this pretty interesting really, that it would be someone from Adelaide which in my experience of noisy places is not that at all, in fact there is a lot of peace and quiet to be had in the city of churches, we have some lovely parklands and green spaces not to mention the hills, but that is a tangent I shall  not go into just yet.

So, how to go about this, well.... stay tuned as I investigate and attempt to create a quiet way to inhabit Manchester, a very unquiet city.

November 30th
It occurred to me that the reason I am drawn to this idea is that sound, noise, audio, what have you effects us physically and emotionally, sound waves and vibrations can and do move matter so I want to look at how this relates to me in that I prefer silence to the usual barrage of noises that most of us seem to have become very used to.
There have been a number of studies done that look at how we are  physically affected by sound and I want to look into how we can create more healthy environments considering this.

Mapping towns and cities in a sounds based way is a really nice way to look at this so some field recordings are on the cards for sure.
 Future posts on this project will be tagged psychogeography project.








No comments:

Post a Comment